Saturday 6 December 2014

Mili Fay Presents: Animals In My Hair

Click Here to get your free copy of the book
on December 6th, 2014, Pacific Time.

Dear Reader,

In 2008 when I heard my mother tell my father that he should get a haircut, because his hair was like a forest (a very common Serbian expression), I began wondering what would it be like if our hair really was a forest.  Surely, there would be animals living in the hair.  But why?  I thought about it and eventually decided that it would be because those animals had nowhere else to live.

That is how the story of a little boy who goes for his first haircut only to discover that endangered animals where hiding within was born.  It took five years, and all of my skills as an animator, illustrator, writer, singer, and tutor to create a multilayered story that would appeal to all generations.

I am at an age when most of my friends are building families.  I have always thought books a perfect present for any age, but I found to my despair that so many of the books in stores were dedicated to one topic, a specific age group, and were so simple that one could absorb a book in a single sitting.  I wanted to gift my friends a book that they could open year after year, and always discover something new and remember how much I care for them.

With this in mind, I wrote the story in free verse so that the rhythm of the language would appeal to babies; I included 80% more illustrations than a typical picture book, so that even if the reader cannot read or speak English he/she would be able to follow the story; I developed a visual style that combined animated characters with realism, so that the reader could learn through observation; I have invented visual puzzles to be discovered throughout the book…

Layers upon layers.

The hardcover book has been published a little over a year, and thus far, from the response I have received at the fairs and art shows, I believe I have managed to create a rather unique book.  However, today I will let you be the judge.

Recently, I have created a Kindle Edition of the book.  The original hardcover has been reformatted, and now you can see all of the illustrations in true RGB glory, which is closer to the original watercolour scans than the CMYK reproduction of the printed book.

Today only, “Animals In My Hair” will be free to download from Amazon.

Please take a look at the three short educational videos below, download the book for free, join the Kindle Launch Party, join the free AIMH Membership, explore what the book has to offer, and let me know what you think.

Wishing you only the best!

Mili Fay






http://youtu.be/Gm47XKb64rc

-----------------------------------------


Mili Fay, a Toronto-based artist, classical animator, illustrator, writer, and singer, is an award winning graduate of Sheridan College and Art Instruction Schools.  In November of 2011 she created Mili Fay Art determined to support the world one artwork at a time.

Her latest published work is Animals In My Hair; a story about a boy who goes for his first haircut only to find endangered animals falling out of his hair.  Presented at INSPIRE! Toronto International Book Fair (November 14, 2014) out of 700+ submissions, Animals In My Hair, is the world’s first ever Artwork Book; a new type of picture book that seamlessly combines the best features of fine art, picture books, activity books, and educational books.

In accordance with Mili Fay Art’s vision, 30% of all profits from Animals In My Hair book and merchandise will be donated to wildlife conservation.

Join Mili Fay Art Fan Club to stay in touch with Mili Fay and to be the first to find out of her upcoming books and artworks.

Mili Fay Art: “Together we support the world one artwork at a time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous. Abuse of any kind will not be tolerated.